At Totley Primary School, we have designed our R.E. curriculum with the intent that our children will become accepting, mindful and inquisitive learners.
Our R.E. curriculum allows children to discover and gain an insight into religions within the world that we live. We see the teaching of R.E. as vital for children to understand others beliefs and make connections between their own values. It is our role to ensure pupils are being inquisitive by asking questions about the world around them by allowing pupils to gain high quality experiences.
We will deliver a curriculum that:
• Celebrates the diverse community at Totley Primary School, such as by meeting and talking to members of the community with a diverse range of beliefs.
• In Fs2, children use important festivals and celebrations to explore Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam. They hear about the experiences and beliefs about people our community of these religions (and those of none) to establish firm foundations of the diversity of beliefs that 'being relgious' can mean.
• From Year 1 to Year 6, the curriculum is structured into three cycles in the year in a way that each cycle builds on the last. Children first learn about the teachings and wisdom of the religions they learn about, then how the religion shapes and supports family and community, before learning about these beliefs in action around the world.
• Inspires creative learning through excellent teaching practices that build on prior R.E. learning and allow for repetition and progression of skills
• Our curriculum embraces the community in which it is situated, recognising local places of worship including: church, mosque, synagogue and temple.
• Is inclusive, develops self-confidence and identifies that all our children are unique, and therefore we should all be tolerant and respectful of each other’s beliefs.
• Promotes equality and understanding of the British values and ensures they are prepared for life in modern Britain.
Below, you can see the sequence of the topics in RE that children learn about in each term for each year group. Please get in touch if you'd like examples of more detailed planning or to talk through your child're learning in greater detail.