Changes to the National Agenda in September 2013 and subsequesnt guidance from the Local Authority mean that absences will only be authorised by the school in exceptional circumstances.
The new policy includes the following:
- It is expected that all children attend school every day of the school year.
- A new LA policy has introduced new arrangements for authorising absence from school from 1st September, and that we are bound by this policy
- Medical and dental appointments will be authorised. However, as was the case in the previous policy, we would prefer these to be out of school hours wherever possible.
- Authorised leave will now not normally include family holidays unless exceptional circumstances apply.
- Exceptional leave can only be authorised at the discretion of the head and must be requested in writing at least four weeks in advance
- The child’s previous attendance record will be taken into account when decisions about exceptional leave are taken
- Decisions will be given in writing within 10 days – and are final
- Unauthorised absence can incur penalties from the Local Authority
The Local Authority guidance and school policy can be downloaded here:
LA Term Time Leave PolicyOct 26, 2013, 262.50 KB
Please click on the link below to download the Absence Request form:
Absence Request Form
Oct 26, 2013, 32.30 KB