What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is currently providing funding of £150 million per annum to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The funding equates to £8000 per primary school plus £5.00 per pupil on roll which in our case means we expect to receive around £9000 in total per year. We have in effect spent more than this.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
Purpose of funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- new or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
We are keen to ensure that the funding has a long-term impact on quality of PE and Sport in our school.
Please click on the link below to see the latest spending plan for this academic year: