What is the Sports Premium?
The Government has recently increased the amount of sports funding for primary schools. This now equates to £16,000 per primary school plus £10 per pupil on roll, which in our case means we expect to receive around £18,800 for the academic year 2018-19.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
Purpose of funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- hiring qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- providing existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introducing new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- supporting and involving the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- running sport competitions
- increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- running sports activities with other schools
We are keen to ensure that the funding has a long-term impact on quality of PE and Sport in our school.
Please click on the link below to see the spending plan for this year: